Friday, September 18, 2015

September Quilts

Moving (slowly) along with my attempt to finish a quilt-a-month through 2015, I must admit that I didn't finish anything in August, due to travel and visitors. So I'm trying to make up for it in September. So far I have finished one lap quilt and two wall-hangings.

Floral Pizzazz

     The first quilt is  a bright, bold lap-quilt which I called "Floral Pizzazz". The pattern is from Judy Sisneros' book "9-patch Pizzazz". This is a great pattern for using up large-scale prints and I had fun putting the quilt together from some fabrics which have been lying in my stash, just waiting for the right pattern to come along. Judy's was just perfect.
     I wanted a change from the more traditional quilting that I have been doing and when I saw Kim Caskey's "Bird of Wisdom" wall quilt at Earthly Goods quilt shop, I had no trouble deciding to buy the pattern and make my own version. It was a lot of fun to make and while I was finishing it, my mind was roaming among the possible variations of it that I could make. The words on the side are "Live, Love, Laugh, Listen, Learn."
      I finished it the second day and inspired by Kim's ideas began another one almost right away.

Bird of Wisdom

As you can see, I changed the bird to an owl and decided instead of strips to use a pieced panel below the bird. The words of wisdom on the side are: "Coincidence is God's Way of Doing Miracles Anonymously. " I still have more ideas and can't wait to start the next variation. (Sorry the angle of the photo distorts the quilt.)

Wise Old Owl 

How thankful I am to other quilters whose patterns are such a pleasure to work with and which stir my own creativity in the process.

To all my friends who like quilts and quilting, have a great day!

No comments: