Thursday, October 13, 2011

Singapore





We've been in Singapore for over a month now for the long awaited birth of our grand-daughter. Although I've been busy sewing - curtains for the nursery, sheets for cradle and crib, and diapers - yes, diapers. Our children are very environmentally conscious and realizing the effect that so-called "disposable" diapers have on the environment, have opted for non-disposables. So grandma has up-dated her skills from the time she sewed diapers for her own little babies and having found some "nappy flannelette" (as they call it here) at a bargain price of one Singapore dollar per metre, got to work.



But even with all the baby preparations, I've managed to connect with a quilter friend from my last visit. Marianne Bos is a quilt artist and has produced a variety of beautiful work which you can see on her blog http://www.mariannebos.blogspot/ . Through her I have been able to visit a group of quilters who meet every week. They are the ANZA (Australia and New Zealand Association) quilters, one of several ex-pat quilt groups who meet here in Singapore. Like quilters everywhere they are a friendly group and it has been a pleasure to sit and sew with them and to see the variety of projects they are working on.



Of course, I never travel without a quilting project of my own, so this has allowed me a quiet space of time for my own work.



As we'll be here for two more months, with a little perseverance, I should be able to finish them before I leave.

























1 comment:

MulticoloredPieces said...

Just stopped by to enjoy your quilts and your blog. Wow! Singapore! What fun...Really liked your watering can quilt with the multiple fabrics.
best from Tunisia,
nadia