Saturday, December 19, 2009

Christmas Preparations

Every December I get the urge to make something "Christmassy." Usually the urge comes about the second week of the month, when I'm getting out the decorations and putting my Christmas quilts around the house. By this time it's way too late to make anything big, but I open my box of Christmas fabric left-overs and settle for something small : pot holders or hot mats last year; gift bags the year before. This year I decided to make mini (5-inch)-Christmas stockings.

Theoretically, these were to be made very simply and quickly. But in my case, theory and practise didn't coincide. I'll spare you tedious details, but suffice it to say, I finished only one little stocking to my satisfaction and abandoned the attempt. Falling back on an even simpler idea, I made a set of folded coasters for a hostess gift and realized the annual "make something Christmassy" urge had disappeared.

Late as it is in December, I decided to photograph the items to add a touch of Christmas colour to this blog and that didn't work either. Whether it was the fault of the camera or the computer or me (and I have a strong suspicion it is the last), something didn't work the way it should - so no photos either.


As I thought about these frustrations and plans not working out, I remembered that the First Christmas wasn't without its frustrations either. I'm sure Mary and Joseph didn't expect to have to put their newborn in a manger or spend the night in a stable. But the Christchild came nevertheless.

And this year, too, Christmas will come, and what truly matters is not the external preparations but the preparations of the heart.

In the words of an old Christmas song written by Emily Elizabeth Elliot:

Thou didst leave Thy throne and Thy kingly crown

When Thou camest to earth for me

But in Bethlehem's home was there found no room

For Thy holy nativity.

O come to my heart, Lord Jesus.

There is room in my heart for Thee.



May The Christchild come with all His blessings to your hearts and homes this Christmas!

1 comment:

Marianne Bos said...

Merry Christmas Ada,

May the Lord bless you and your family this Christmas and in the year to come.

Blessings from the Bos' in Singapore